Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Where have I been?


As the holidays pass for most families our season continues for a week longer which keeps all of us busy.So, once again life has led me to neglect my blog. Sure I've been present online, but not here. I've spent a lot of time reading, commenting and responding to email; but  not blogging. I can tweet with my kids running around but I can't concentrate on anything else since they usually protest whenever I sit near the laptop. Either they want to use it or they stick books or papers in front of my screen to get my attention. I remember using the same techniques while my parents read the newspaper. I can't really blame them.

 - A little of what I've been doing-



January 6th
Foti's name day. His full name is Fotios, named after my late father-in-law. Although I didn't expect too many guests, I had to be prepared if anyone decided to show up.I spent the day in the kitchen baking and making some of his favorite foods.  Foti was excited and loved receiving phone calls. I made him pizza for lunch and let him watch a movie later that afternoon.  At the end of the day we only had two guests and it was perfect. What was even better is that I had a lot of food left over and didn't have to cook the next day.



January 8th- Izabella's birthday.
Rushing to the bakery early that morning I  decided that although an already prepared cake might be fantastic; a homemade cake would be even better. And even better than that, a homemade cake in which the birthday girl could help make and decorate. So, after I picked Iza up from school we went straight to the store so that she could choose the toppings for her cake. We used this chocolate cake recipe. It was fantastic!
The actual birthday party will take place this weekend and we ordered another chocolate cake for the day. She chose a cake with Dalmations on it, not the Disney Dalmations, just regular Dalmations.






 Izabella had a great birthday and she was so pleased with everything. I still can't believe that she's seven.

and in between celebrations...


We had a play date with friends which allowed me to enjoy coffee & great conversation.


I made a few homemade pizzas. Honestly, I'd never attempted to make my own pizza dough until now, I don't know why. But I decided try my hand at it and  I was pleased with the results. I used Ivy's recipe for basic homemade pizza dough and made my own sauce. I topped one pizza with mozzarella cheese and the others with green peppers, onions, tomatoes and of course, mozzarella.  I have to say that they were a few of the better pizzas I've had in a while. I won't say the best because I still believe that Lisa's Pizzeria in my other neighborhood has the best pizza I've ever eaten.  But the kids loved my pizzas and they're particular about pizza so I'll believe them when they say that they were delicious.


I was able to spend quality time with Adriane. This is her favorite photo of us.


We went to the city to visit friends and along the way we stopped to watch ice skaters. It was too late for us to skate and we were dressed well so we couldn't...


but Foti  really wished that he could have. The kids  also enjoyed looking at the Ancient Agora as we passed by, but since it was dark I couldn't get a good photo.


And in the midst of our adventures in living I got very sick and it took about 5 days for me to feel better. Nasty flu!
But as soon as I recovered I was out taking photos again. These photos of the girls in the wheat field are significant because it's just outside  of our gate and  we've just learned that someone bought this stretch of land and will probably be building a house soon. I hope it's a house and not an apartment building because we love our view, not to mention the serenity.  Let's hope for the best!


Yes, it's Mt. Olympus in the background.

~~~

A few of my friends in the blogosphere inquired about my absence and I'm thankful. I'm back and not leaving blog land anytime soon. Thank you.

So, my year is off to a good start (well, minus the flu) and I'm optimistic to see how the rest of it unfolds.




16 comments:

  1. Life is really really busy, but so much fun at the same time, and this is how I want to keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A belated Xponia Polla to Foti...handsome guy in his businessman look! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl,

    I read this post twice, not because I didn't understand it, but because I liked it so much :) You really had a very fun-packed start of the year, of course, as mentioned by you, leaving the flu apart.

    I enjoyed the celebration photos of the kids, and not to forget to mention Iza preparing the cake herself.

    The photo Adraine likes is indeed a good one.

    I wish Foti could have ice-skated.

    I pray that the view from your home remains as it is, and doesn't get spoilt by any new thing over there. The view is just amazing; I wish I could have such a great view from my home :)

    Rajasthani Turbans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl mou, how great are the pictures!!!!
    Happy New Year!!!
    All my best wishes 2 u and ur family!

    Have been taking some time off bloging myself (apart from the Christmas Cake post) to enjoy more quality family n friends time.

    We are back for good now, indeed!
    :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha..have a great wonderfull day with your kids..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great, great photos and so cute faces all of you. Sending lots of love and kisses from the Nicolaides family! We love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Gingeyginge--Yes, apart from the flu we've had fun! :)

    @Maria-- I couldn't agree with you more! xo

    @Peter-- Efxaristo poli!! Yes, Foti looks dapper in his little get up. Kosta brought that from the U.S. last year. Thank you! :)


    @Bhavesh-- Thank you so much for your wonderfully kind comments. We have had a lot packed into a few weeks & now it's time to slow down a bit.

    Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to take Foti & his sisters skating before it gets too warm and they remove the ice. You'll know if we do :)

    I agree, our view is amazing and so much more than I'd ever expected before moving here. I'll keep posting photos of our view for you & everyone else to enjoy.
    Again, thank you! :)


    @thalassamov-- Kali Hronia! Happy New Year to you & your family as well! I'm so glad that you were able to spend time with your friends & family, I always feel there isn't ever enough time to enjoy time together.
    I can't wait to read your future posts & learn a thing or 2 from your kitchen!
    Thank you so much for your comments,they always make me smile:) Have a great night!


    @Krisno-- Thank you so much! It's nice to see you here. I really enjoy your photos and your blog!
    Enjoy the rest of the week:)


    @Phivos--Thank you :):):) We love all of you too! Can't wait until we can make it to Cyprus!
    Big & little kisses & hugs from all of us...XOxo :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for stopping by...Your always welcome x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gingeyginge...

    Good morning. You're most welcome. I love your place!
    Have a great day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. well come back. so your holidays were full of celebrations. i wish all the best to you and your family for 2010.

    να σου ζήσουν και να τα χαίρεσαι τα παιδιά και χρόνια τους πολλά

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vaggelis,

    Thank you! Yes, very full of celebrations. I wish you & your family the best in 2010 as well!

    καλό Σαββατοκύριακο! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew from Twitter that you are OK. I think from these pictures we can really see how busy you've been!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Liz, I know... I was everywhere but here. I love that we're connected in so many ways.
    Yes, so busy I can't light a fire and fathom having to sweep out the ashes...again! lol :P
    I took pics of our candlelit fireplace though. I'll tweet them later ! :)
    Have a wonderful afternoon!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. A belated, but heartfelt, Happy New Year to you and your sweet family.
    Cheryl, you do have a wonderful eye for composition in your photographs-the children always appear so engaged. Happy Birthday and Nameday to Miss Izabella and Master Foti respectably.
    Sorry to read that you had to do battle with the flu, but perhaps now you've built up the antibodies to protect yourself for the rest of the year.

    ...and oh my goodness, I hope that no ginormous structure is to be built that might obstruct your view.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Biddy,

    Happy New Year to you & yours!! May 2010 be healthy, happy, prosperous an full of love & magical moments!!
    Thank you for the well wishes regarding Foti & Izabella. They're happy little people! Izabella actually had her b-day party with her friends yesterday and had a blast.

    The flu-came and went. I hope to have built antibodies as well because I seem to get sick too often it seems.

    Finally, I too hope that whatever is built near us is modest. We can only hope.

    Thank you so much for always being so kind. I appreciate your presence. :):)

    ReplyDelete